Positive Careers into the Future Featuring Brian Powyer
From 2005-2011, Brian was an Executive member NSW Institute of Senior Educational Administrators.
Through a process of reflection and planning following retirement from NSW Department of Education in 2007 (39 years of service) he decided to engage personal interests (history,environment and education), develop stronger commitments to the local community and not for profit organisations and undertake training and gain qualifications to establish himself in a new area of enterprise.
He applied to become a volunteer guide with Historic Houses Trust (NSW) and was invited to participate in a Certificate 3 course in Tourism – Guiding, jointly conducted by Baulkham Hills TAFE and Rouse Hill House and Farm, an Historic Houses Trust property.
After completing Certificate 3 in Tourism – Guiding, Brian enrolled in Advanced Diploma in Tourism graduating in 2010 where he was successfully nominated for the Raymond Barrington Roberts Hospitality and Tourism Award.
Brian is currently using the funds from the award to develop materials, contacts and partners to launch a small history based company to conduct tours in Parramatta and the Hills district that combine elements of history, environment awareness and protection and cuisines based on sustainable food principles.
TAFE studies have been used successfully to:
· continue work at Rouse Hill House and Farm as a volunteer guide
· prepare and promote a state wide Study Tour Program, for international educators and students, on behalf of DET International
· plan,coordinate, manage major recognition events for Department of Education
· be guest speaker at a variety of conferences based on Re-focussing in Retirement
· establish a small local guided tour company Charactours in Parramatta/Hills area
· establish and gain funding for the historic Parramatta River walk in cooperation with Walking Volunteers Australia
· Become a member of the Western Sydney Institute TAFE national awards presentation committee.